Monday, August 28, 2006

Phatty on Wheels? Uh ... What?

What's a phatty on wheels? In my case, it's a big guy that likes to ride a bicycle. I love to ride mine. I'm not the slim, tiny-waisted guy you've seen in the Tour de France. Heck, I'm not even the kind of trim guy you see on the roads in your neck of the woods. As of this writing, I am 287.9 lbs at 6' 3" tall. In the world of bicycling, I'm almost as big as they come. I say almost because I know of people who are bigger. Their dilemma is the same as mine. The world of bicycles is designed for small people. In fact, the smaller the better. If you really want to use the coolest carbon-fiber frames and the lightest racing wheel set, you better be on the far south-side of 200 lbs. I'll never be below 200 lbs ... this I know.

Inspired by people like the Fat Cyclist and Mike Magnuson, I do plan on doing the best with the body I have. Why? Because the only alternative is to sit on the couch watching life go by on the tv while eating a bag of doritos. I love riding my bike enough that it gives me the desire to get in better shape. At the moment, I have a couple of vague goals in my mind. I would like to hit a 1,000 road miles next year. I would also like to ride a century (100 miles) in 2007. Weight wise, I would like to be close to 260 by the end of 2006 and under 230 at the end of 2007. On this blog, I intend to log my progress at reaching my goals. I have another blog where I detail my thoughts about other things (mainly God and the books I have read), but I wanted this one to be specific to my cycling, exercise, and weight goals. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because the best blogs seem to have a theme. Maybe it's an effort to keep my life organized. Either way, I hope you enjoy yourself here.

My next entry will detail my weight history in all its gory details.

Phatty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home