Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Running Plan

With the coming of fall and winter right around the corner, I have to recognize that my bike riding season is going to come to an end. With this in mind, I have started a new running program to help me continue losing weight. I guess "Phatty on Wheels" is now "Phatty on the Treadmill!" I should make it known that I hate running, but I love the fact that I am good enough shape that I can teach myself to do it. When I was 390 pounds, just walking a few minutes would make my right foot and leg go numb. After losing 100 pounds, I'm still not good at running, but I can do it. That much makes me feel great. The plan I am going to use for the winter is the "Getting Started" plan taken from the book Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals by Steven Jonas. It is a 13 week program that begins with a balance that favors walking over running and eventually begins to favor running and ultimately eliminates the walking. I started last week and am currenty in the middle of the second week of the program (for purposes of the program, my week begins on Friday and runs through Thursday).

My last workout was yesterday and was 25 minutes total. Here's how it looked:

5 minutes walking @ 3.5 mph
3 minutes running @ 4.5 mph
5 minutes walking @ 3.5 mph
3 minutes running @ 4.5 mph
5 minutes walking @ 3.5 mph
2 minutes running @ 4.5 mph
1 minute running @ 5.0 mph
1 minute walking @ 3.0 mph

25 minutes total for 1.61 miles

I realize that I am incredibly slow, but I figure speed will come later. Besides, my goal isn't to win a duathlon someday, it's to complete it! The first phase of my running plan covers 3 weeks and slowly increases in duration. At the end of phase 1, my minutes will only slightly favor walking. Hopefully, I'll lose enough weight and enjoy it enough that I'll be able to move my running outside next spring!

I'll be back tomorrow for my weekly weigh-in!

phatty




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home