Sunday, October 01, 2006

Phatty Under Water

Yesterday, my wife was kind enough to take me swimming. It was the first time I had swam in probably 20 years. I expected that the hardest part of the event would be taking my shirt off in fron of the other patrons of the YMCA, but boy was I wrong. Swimming kicked my butt! My first trip to the other end of the pool was a frenzied event while my body tried to remember how to stay afloat and my brain tried to keep fro submitting to total panic. While ... I don't remember having as much trouble swimming as a kid. I used to dive and swim under water with no problem. Now, my brain siezes up as soon as I go under. I need to work on that. After my first lap, it felt as if my heart was going to beat right out of my chest. I think the high heart-rate was partly cause by the cardio exercise and partly caused by fear. But, I gave myself a couple of minutes to slow down and tried again.

Things weren't so bad once I forced myself to slow down and control my movements. I never recaptured the grace of my youth, but I was able to get myself under control somewhat. In total, I swam 300 yards in about 40 minutes. I tell you what, my whole body hurt when I was finished. The experience wasn't enjoyable. I hate to say it, but I would much rather run! I think things will get better once I teach myself how to swim correctly and I recover the lost skill of treading water. I've borrows a book from wife title Total Immersion that is supposed to provide me with drills that will improve my swimming. Hopefully, it will help. If not, I think that once I hit the 250 pound mark, I'll consider signing up for swim lessons. I've got to tie things such as this into my weight-loss goals for some reason.

In the meantime, I'll continue my running program and will probably go back to the pool next week and panic for a few more laps!

phatty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home